Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Stammering To Find A Voice, Through A Teacher


Last night I had the opportunity to see "The King's Speech", the new highly regarded film staring Colin Firth and Goeffrey Rush, in theaters now. While the sure-to-be Oscar nominated film captivated me from it's opening sequenece, with it's beauty and incredible performances, it was the sincerity of the true life story of King George VI that pierced my heart.

As you may, or may not know, The King had a debilitating stutter. Perhaps not the worst condition one could have if say, you work in an office behind a computer all day. But to be in a position to command and entire empire, well.. uh .. I .. I .. I.. can't imagine what that might ...uh...feel like.

Even King's have challenges.

As this kind gentle soul reaches for his words, and swallows his pride in the same breath, you sit there and realize that we really are all alike. Each and every one of us. That challenges do not judge based on race, creed or social standing. That no matter who we are, there is always that gap between perception of who we really are, and who we wish to become.
Filling that gap are the challenges that we are given to earn our goals of becoming that person. Understanding that these challenges are the bridge to get us there, is the hard part. Once we understand the opponent, we can overcome it.

As I examined the life of George VI through the lens of the camera, I found myself cheering him on, hoping each time that he would make it, just a few more words without stumbling. There were times when he did (usually by using curse words, humorously enough) and times when he would not. But always beating himself up so fiercely that he lashed out in disgust at his teacher (played by Geoffrey Rush), for not being qualified enough for the job.

It was this relationship that moved me to write this post.

Lionel, The Kings Speech therapist, was a bit of an underdog. He championed himself on his knowledge of shakespeare, but couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Never one to rest on his laurels, he used his gifts of voice and speech to help others. With no licensing or education of a professional manner, he copiously used his wit and charisma to win the respect of his clients. Under an alias, the queen answers an add in the classifieds seeking out Lione's expertise to help her husband with his condition.
His humble studio and working class surrounding create such a beautiful juxtapostion against the backdrop of royalty, as The King and Lionel work together to speak with confidence and poise. Lionel refuses to give His Royal Highness any special attention because of his moniker. He treats The King, as he would anyone else and pushes him just as hard as he does his other clients. Like a true teacher, you see the care and love this man fights to instill in a his stubborn students soul. Like a true teacher, he never gives up.

Eventually the King is faced with the greatest challenge of his life. He is expected to give a nine minute radio speech to the world declaring the state of affairs with Germany, and the looming threat of World War II. As this unfolds, his teacher is right there by his side the entire time. Eventually seeing The King deliver his speech with dignity to the world.

I have had many teachers who've touched my life in exponential ways. Some of which I have relegated to the back burner before I could appreciate and realize their value in my life. Some, I keep in very close touch with now and cherish their every word, and others currently in my life with whom I live in healthy fear of the wisdom they impart on me to empower change that comes with no shortage of pain and agony. Pain and Agony which, again ... is that gap between who I am and who I wish to become.

As someone who loves to have a go at most everything myself, I find I'm always knocking my head against a wall, trying desperately to answer my own questions. This doesn't work. We need our teachers, be them friends or professors, spiritual or literal, our life gets stuck when we don't have the push of these blessed souls to help us grow. We all have our own personal "Stutter", and we all need our own personal "Lionel" to help us to change.

Even throughout the adversity of the turned up nose of higher class folk, The King never undermined the blessing and gift that his teacher bestowed upon him. A moment in particular that I really loved comes to mind, when the King's advisor approaches him to let him know that he found a more qualified teacher for his majesty, with "better credentials." The King persists calmly, with a look in his eye that says "There is none other better suited than his gentleman, who will stay by my side".

Who is that person to you?

May we all have the merit to meet, and recognize, these special souls in our life who are sent to help us bridge the gap between who we are and who we want to become.

... And may the entire cast and crew of "The King's Speech" be rewarded handsomely during awards season this year !!!




1 comment: