Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Not While I'm Around


When I was a kid I had a Little Yellow Big Bird toy that I carried with me every where. Protruding from Big Bird's Bum was a little key that, after a few cranks, crooned a tune that would stay with me forever.

Many years later I grew to love the work of composer Stephen Sondheim. As I diligently studied the scores and librettos of his brilliant catalogue of musicals, I came across "Sweeney Todd". I had a listen to the cast album, and much to my awe, I found the origin of my little Big Bird tune. I started to cry as I listened to the lyrics for the first time. The song was so perfectly called "Not While I'm Around".

In "Sweeney Todd", a common street orphan boy called Toby is taken in by Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett. Initially the couple monopolize on the boy's needs and they feed him in exchange for his hard work in their pie shop. A relationship that begins as selfish and opportunistic eventually becomes a very endearing one. Towards the end of the show, Toby is convinced that Mrs. Lovett is in danger and as a promise to protect her he sings to her the above song. The Lyrics are simple yet, very endearing;

Nothing's gonna harm you, not while I'm around.
Nothing's gonna harm you, no sir, not while I'm around.

Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays,
I'll send 'em howling,
I don't care, I got ways.

No one's gonna hurt you,
No one's gonna dare.
Others can desert you,
Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there.

Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while,
But in time...
Nothing can harm you
Not while I'm around...

I've always been a staunch Sondheim fan. If I were to live my life only performing and bringing to life Stephen's complex characters, I would die a happy, happy man. Each and everyone so rich with layers that it's not hard to find a bit of your soul in each of them.

Last week I had the merit to attend Mr. Sondheim's eightieth birthday celebration at City Center. As I watched some of the most talented people in the world perform his music and pay tribute to him, I knew I was not alone in my sentiments.

On June 23, 2010, Tommy Foster and I will perform our first cabaret act together. We have titled it "Not While I'm Around" and it is billed as "A simple tale, about the complexities of friendship". While it is not a full out Sondheim tribute, there are a few of his greatest melodies performed and interwoven with such an eclectic brew of tunes, ranging from P!ink to Peter Gabriel to Charles Strauss.

Tommy and I have known each other for nearly fifteen years, and over the course of those years our paths have diverted and reverted, run parallelle and perpendicular. But one thing has always remained - we never gave up on each other. That is why we have named our show "Not While I'm Around".

To follow and track the show's progress as well as to make a reservation please go to our website www.notwhileimaround.com.

Thank you always for your unconditional love and support. We look forward to seeing you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment