Tuesday, February 16, 2010

10 things that inspire me, for now.


10. The Snow.
As a born Floridian, I didn't have much of this growing up. I think it's beautiful and it encourages me to see the thoughts in my mind as those in a snow globe. With certainty, they will settle - eventually. Only to be shaken up again.

9. Rock Musicals. I am listening to Spring Awakening again, and am VERY excited for "American Idiot" (The Green Day Musical). I feel in my gut that this is the way to the next generation and a way to bridge the gap between the old theater and the new. www.americanidiotonbroadway.com

8. Real Man Fashion.
Many years ago, I loved the look of John Bartlett. It's contemporary but with an authentic rugged man style. I re-discovered him again, by virtue of his new boutique on 7th Ave. South. (He was actually there). The plaids and patterns are sexy, the materials are comforting and almost intoxicating, as if you never want to take them off.
www.johnbartlettny.com

7. Maripol. Maripol was the stylist that "invented" Madonna's very first "look" back in the 80's. She revolutionized the style of a period that will live forever. She is back. Marc Jacobs has asked her to do some accessories and t-shirts for him, with nothing less than the JELLY BRACELETS !!!! www.marcjacobs.com

6. 1920's
Off and on for the last 6 months I have had the merit to work on a new HBO show called "Boardwalk Empire" and it takes place in the 20's. The wardrobe and hair department has done an amazing job of making every detail look authentic and perfect. I am now exploring how I can translate that style to everyday. (see John Bartlett !!! he has some pieces th
at make me crazy)
http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/index.html


5. Everyday Valentines Day, and hand written notes.
I Love Valentines Day. I love that people stop what they are doing in their day to day life to reflect on love. But, my sadness begins the day after, when everyone forgets the love they had in their heart yesterday. So why not make Valentines day everyday? I'm gonna try. I am writing personalized hand written valentines to send out to the people special to me. I use my grandmothers Mont Blanc Pen, complete with stationary by Vera Wang and Christan La Croix !!!!
http://www.katespaperie.com/

4. My Kindle
It takes me FOREVER to read a book. the problem is I will carry it around with me EVERYWHERE, until I finish it. However, a long the way, I pick up several other books that I start and read in tandem. My kindle allows me to carry them all with me and address them when I need. Currently I am reading "A Warrior's Life; A Biography of (my favorite author) Paulo Coelho" and DANTE'S INFERNO!!! (don't ask .. I saw it on the history channel)
www.amazon.com

3. Making what is old new again.
I am sick of my apartment. It's stale and everything in it hasn't changed in the last 4 years. SO ... I am devising a plan to repaint and redecorate. This will be a huge task I know, but it's effect will be very rewarding.

2. Saturn.
The planet and all it's influence on me and the world right now. Easily neglected, but needs to be addressed. Saturn is the planet of judgment. It's effect, both personally and globally is huge. It's placement indicates where we are most challenged. Do you know where yours is? www.yehudaberg.com but and read his book "The Power To Change Everything"

1. Bikram Yoga.
I started doing Bikram back in 1999. A dear friend, Raffael, introduced it to me. He became obsessed. I did not. I did it, because to me at the time, it was luxurious (as twisted as that sounds) and a status symbol. It was the first time in my life that I lost a significant amount of weight. When I no loner had the money for this luxury, I stopped doing it. I went back from time to time, like once a year - maybe. Then last month, I realized that I needed it in my life. I have been going on average 4 to 5 times a week, and the results are not only luxurious, but necessary.
www.bikramyogamanhattan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment