Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Daniel's Discourse on Doubt


Doubt is inevitable.

Doubt in the people around us.
Doubt in our current life situation.
Doubt in ourselves.
Doubt in our spiritual path.
I could go on and on about doubt. I am a doubter.

Yes, Mr. "So Sure" is a doubter. Coming clean, out of the closet.

I doubt myself, mostly. I wonder how much longer I can fool myself in this pretty little world I live in. I mean, who am I to live on this road to success? Better yet, when someone compliments me, I doubt their authenticity. I even doubt my own partner when he promises me he will marry me one day and we will live happily ever after, three children in tow.

Every time I get too excited about my spiritual work, I am reminded of my childhood days in church and how rediculous all those holy rollers around me looked. That makes me doubt the existance of a creator.

Wrong. (most of the time)

Doubt is a beautiful thing. Not for it's confusion, or for it's ability to make us lazy or complacent. Not because it pushes us away from doing what we are really meant to be doing (which is more than we ever could imagine).

Doubt is beautiful, because it allows us to beg for the truth. When we start to beg for the truth we build the capacity to trust. Then trust no longer becomes logical, it becomes intrinsic. When you know, you know. Heard that before?

So all those Doubts that I have, I am putting to the test. Each and every one of them.

I doubt they will hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment