Thursday, February 18, 2010

Through A New Lens; My Pillage Through The Village !

I've lived in Manhattan nearly half my life. Every day I thank god for granting me this huge merit to thrive here and to forever expand my desire to learn and grow in this magical city.

As you can imagine, It's pretty easy to think that after living here for so long I might begin to say "I've seen it all", but that's so cliche. Maybe in Ocala, but not Manhattan baby.

If you've ever wondered along the short narrow streets of the west village you have, surely, made conversation about it's "quaint & quiet" disposition.
Maybe even fantasized about living there.
Well, I got lost in it last night. And I would have been completely content, to put up my cardboard prada shoe box and call it home.

There's that ole Robert Frost poem "2 Roads ..."
I think I get it now.
I traveled both, but found more. Another road, another nook, a shop with books. A place to cut my locks, a store or two to buy my frocks.
Each and every one a gem, which I have never seen before.
I have walked these same streets, time and time again. While sometimes stumbling, sometimes freezing, but clearly never with the lens I have on now.
I love that about New York. Just when you think you've seen it all, God grants you the ability to see more.

As posted previously, I am tired of the same four walls I've been staring at for the last 3 years here in Chinatown. While I am excited to "change the scenery" ultimately I want to change the location. SO ... I've been shopping for a townhouse! Huge leap from Chinatown flat to 4 floor home I know, (not to mention about 9.8 more million dollars than my current humble tofu palace) But, as I once heard in a movie "If you build it, they will
Come"
Maybe if I move in, the money will come!

In my walking meditation I have been led to exactly what I am looking for! (or has been looking for me).
Nestled at the heart chakrah of the area, an adorable, sexy little chalet on, aptly named, Bank Street.

Located conveniently conjunct to TWO Marc Jacobs (count them, TWO Men's Mark Jacobs) boutiques! I can hear the relief in your sigh that I will never have to worry about what to wear to the next gallery opening that has requested my company!

As a matter of fact, I am so confident that this place is perfect for me, that i have already filled it with children to adopt from south America!! (yes, there's room for Mary Poppins and Mommy Poppins too!!)

So, of my new neighborhood, I've discovered plenty of places I am sure that will fulfill my day to day needs.

Here they are:

1. Grounded; a grass roots coffee/tea shop with delicious nibbles and studious young filmmaker types.

2. The Ink Pad; an entire store dedicated to the art of hand crafted stationary.

3. House of Cards- I will call this place a card shop, but that's an understatement. It's more of a chochky shack in which i found the following reminder "Jesus hates it when you smoke"

4. ... The most delicious perfumery in the WORLD. It boasts such untouched and sought after lines such as, Santa Maria Novella, L'Artisian, By Killian, Diptyque and so many more I've never ever discovered.

5. Hair Salon / Barber shop. - this amazing little shop has been perfectly preserved back to it's 1960's origins. Everything, from the chairs to the combs, from the soda machine to the door knobs. I can't wait to get my hair cut here. (and it's only $35! For a guys cut)








That's not even the restaurants!!! I'll get there next time!

Here's to seeing old things with a new lens !!!


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment