Thursday, April 1, 2010

Picking Daisies

About a year and a half ago I had the opportunity to bring the tools of SFK to the "Y.E.S." (youth employment services) program here in Manhattan. The Y.E.S. Program is a service provided to teens who have dropped out of school and are looking for alternative ways to meet qualifications to go into the working force. One of the ways they achieve this is by offering their students classes on how to pass the GED, as well as giving them life skills workshops to help them through their personal challenges. Many of the teens I met while working there are living with emotional disorders and have endured things in their lives that have had a negative impact on their character.
Think "Precious; based on true life, not ONLY by Saphire".

Meet Daisy.

Daisy is a flower for sure. A rare and special one at that.
She came into my class during the second semester of the program and for pretty much the duration of the entire course she either slept or didn't take her nose out of the journal in front of her.
She appeared to be severely depressed and did not respond to anything. Not any of the facilitators in the room, nor the peer educators could crack her exterior.
We finished the YES program in June, and as with most students, I thought I would never see her again.

Wrong.

Fast forward-
In the fall of this past year I was asked to teach at a public high school on Manhattans Lower East Side.
The home room teacher, Ms. Susan Klein, had offered an overwhelming amount of support and excitement for our program. "This is just what our students need" She proclaimed daily.

In lesson 1, called "Finding ourselves on the Map of Life"; we ask our students to image their life like a Map.
You need to know where you are (your staring point) to know where you want to go. (your destination).
At the the conclusion of the class, a familiar face approached me
"Do you remember me? My name is Daisy and I was in your class last year at the YES program"
Of course I remembered her, except the Daisy I knew before would have never been so forthcoming. There was definately something different about her, a sparkle in her eye I had not yet met.

"I decided to go back to school and get my dipoloma" "I will need it to get into "Juilliard" She continued.

"Juilliard?" I replied with a tinge of Judgment.

"Yes" she responded "I want to go there so that I can become a concert pianist one day"

My jaw dropped. I was now very curious.
"What kind of music do you like to play?"
"Rachmannanov and Debussey, are my favorites. Although they are very hard."
"I can imagine" I sympathized.
"Maybe that's why I like them; because they are hard" she offered as her insight to a good challenge.
Was I really hearing this? I was baffled that I had spent nearly the last 9 months with a student in my class and I knew NOTHING about her.

All of this caught the eye of Daisy's facilitator and my dear friend, Karen Bishko.
See, Karen too is a musician. A singer song-writer from London living here in New York working diligently to get her original musical on it's feet. Karen's interest was as piqued as mine. She approaced Ms. Klein for more clarification. Susan confirmed everything Daisy had told us.
She went on to tell us that the piano is definitely Daisy's "shelter". She shared with us a whole mirage of challenges that Daisy has been through, including, currently being eight teen and in the tenth grade. Her literacy is that of an eighth grade student.

On the final day of the class, Karen asked Ms. Klein if there was anywhere in the building that Daisy could take take her to play the piano.
There was, and Daisy was most excited to oblige to Karen's request.

What Karen saw/heard left her speechless. Literally. She called me immediately after class in hysterics. She could not speak from the emotion pouring from her heart. Daisy's talent was easily prodigal.
"I want to help Daisy in any way I can" she told me
"What if I get some people together to pay for her lessons at Juilliard!"
I argued that while I thought that was a nice jesture, there are an abundance of other students just like Daisy that need help too. I struggle with the fairness equation in her gesture.
She was relentless (as usual) and managed to find the funding neccesary, as well as the teacher at Juilliard perfectly fit for Daisy's skill set.

And the ball was rolling ...
Daisy began working with Teddy (the piano teacher) immediately. They continue to work weekly to meet Daisy's dream of going to Juilliard for college

As the universe would have it, Karen was reaquainted with a neighbor friend, Victoria, on a holiday back to London. After communicating Daisy's story, Victoria shared that she is a documentary filmmaker and that she would like us to consider letting her meet Daisy and see if she might be interested in doing a documentary on the process.
After careful evaluation with Daisy, Her Family, and other professionals, we believe that the opportunity to share Daisy's story with the world can help bring awareness to a cause so desperately needed.

Our youth are in danger. We must take the time to hear their needs.

Thank you for listening and I will keep you posted as things progress.

Meanwhile,
Meet Daisy and Karen

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! You guys are angels. Don't worry about not being fair to others. If you can save 1, it's amazing. One at a time... Thank you for sharing these stories. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete